Strobe or random flashing lights

Discuss using Roadcraft in your every day riding. Experiences you've had. How Roadcraft helped you. Or ask a question on how you should have applied The System.

Strobe or random flashing lights

Postby Felix Oliver » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:05 am

I was thinking ( careful I hear you cry ) as cars are have more and more daylight running lights bikes are again becoming more invisable to the average motorist.

On my bike and I think it is standard on most, I have a headlight full beam flash button, which I have to say I have only used a few times as I normally just put it on full beam with the headlight switch, anyway I thought that I could wire up a strobe or a pair of random flashing lights so that if someone looks like their not going to stop hit the flash button that would then makes you look compleatly different and hopefully seen... I have had to stop going round a roundabout because the car joining didn't look like he was going to give way... :(

Spoke to Mr Motorspares and they have a few units, Pace car relays he called them but was concerned about the illagality of them, Bicycles now are allowed flashing headlight, My tax disc says I'm a bicycle...

Any thoughts
Felix
Felix Oliver
Committee Member

Bikes: Current bike: Kawasaki GTR 1000 Purple 1999
Pasted bikes: Kawasaki GTR 1000 White 1992
Kawasaki GT 550 Red 1982
Honda Wallaroo 50cc moped, (got to start somewhere)

Re: Strobe or random flashing lights

Postby Mike.J.Roberts » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:23 am

Flashing/strobing lights (other than indicators/hazards) are illegal.

Don't get me started (again) on the ever increasing use of overbright lights everywhere (cars, lorries, motorcycles, roadworks etc.). :(

Please don't join the "light war".
Mike.J.Roberts
National Observer & Committee Member

Bikes: In reverse order (one at a time):-
Triumph Explorer 1200 XRT (Gen 2), Kawasaki 1400GTR, Honda ST1300 (x2), Honda Blackbird, Honda CBR1000FK, Honda CBR1000FH, Honda PC800, Honda VF750FD, Honda VF400, Honda CX500, Honda CB250K4, Honda C90, Mobylette Sport (sic) & various other smelly two strokes.

Postby Andrew Sterling » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:03 pm

Being a musician I was thinking of a rotating disco ball on my bike...
Andrew Sterling
SAM Member

Bikes: Can't remember what on earth my first 125 was it was so long ago. Dangerously underpowered. After the test I got a Honda 250 Superdream which I really enjoyed: never let me down. But again, underpowered, so the next bike was an ugly CX500. The final drive when on that. Very unusual, said the engineer (I often hear that with regard to stuff that breaks down). I replaced that with the Sports Tourer version which was a fully-faired white jobby, and looked great! After a break from motorcycling I had an ex-police BVMW K75 - still underpowered and really tatty but got me round Scotland and back - then a BMW ex police R1150RT which kept breaking down (final drive left me stranded on the M1 near Nottingham), then another one which was great, and now I have an ex police R1200RT which, so far, is wonderful. I'd better apply to join the police.....

Postby Stephen Milbourne » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:46 am

I think they should make looking compulsary not optional :roll:
Stephen Milbourne
SAM Member

Bikes: PUCH MAXI MOPED,SUZUKI AP100,GT250-X2,GT550,GS550-X2,HONDA C90(CRUNCH),GSX750F-X2,KAWASAKI- Z1000ST,GSX750EFA,2X 1200 BANDITS,1X1250BANDIT,K7GSX-R1000,K8 KAWASAKI Z1000,HONDA PAN-1100,VARIOUS MOTO-X BIKES 125 UP TO 400 ALL YAMAHA'S, SUZUKI GSX1250FA and now Kawasaki Z1000SX.

Return to Every Day Riding